A high amount of body fat can lead to weight-related diseases and other health issues. Being underweight is also a health risk. Body Mass Index (BMI) and waist circumference are screening tools to estimate weight status in relation to potential disease risk. However, BMI and waist circumference are not diagnostic tools for disease risks. A trained healthcare provider should perform other health assessments to evaluate disease risk and diagnose disease status.
Adult Body Mass Index Or BMI
BMI is a person’s weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters. A high BMI can indicate high body fatness, and a low BMI can indicate too low body fatness. To calculate your BMI and ideal weight use SureFiz® calculator.
- If Your BMI Is Less Than 18.5, It Falls Within The Underweight Range.
- If Your BMI Is 18.5 To 24.9, It Falls Within The Normal Or Healthy Weight Range.
- If Your BMI Is 25.0 To 29.9, It Falls Within The Overweight Range.
- If Your BMI Is 30.0 Or Higher, It Falls Within The Obese Range.
At an individual level, BMI can be used as a screening tool but is not diagnostic of the body fatness or health of an individual. A trained healthcare provider should perform appropriate health assessments in order to evaluate an individual’s health status and risks.
To correctly measure waist circumference:
- Stand And Place A Tape Measure Around Your Middle, Just Above Your Hipbones
- Make Sure Tape Is Horizontal Around The Waist
- Keep The Tape Snug Around The Waist, But Not Compressing The Skin
- Measure Your Waist Just After You Breathe Out
Another way to estimate your potential disease risk is to measure your waist circumference. Excessive abdominal fat may be serious because it places you at greater risk for developing obesity-related conditions, such as Type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure, and coronary artery disease. Your waistline may be telling you that you have a higher risk of developing obesity-related conditions if you are:
- A Man Whose Waist Circumference Is More Than 40 Inches
- A Non-Pregnant Woman Whose Waist Circumference Is More Than 35 Inches
Try out SureFiz calculator to calculate your body composition without having to do all the math.